POV-Ray : Newsgroups : moray.win : RFC: Wishlist/features : Re: Wishlist/features Server Time
19 May 2024 02:18:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wishlist/features
From: Lutz Kretzschmar
Date: 18 Aug 2006 01:06:50
Message: <57iae25cempv8kqq2ptfc47f9kppndi51t@4ax.com>
Hi Steve Shelby, you recently wrote in moray.win:

> Here's a
> quick way I just tried that will show you what I mean: make a sphere with 24
> divisions; use "Convert to Wireframe" on it; in the duplicate dialogue
> create 9 copies of the wireframe group, with references. This slows mine
> down so much that I would not want to proceed any further.
Holy crap, are you serious? That only creates around 3000 polygons. I
must have a way more high-powered system, that scene doesn't slow it
down in the least, I have 270fps in the 3D viewport (yes two hundred
and seventy) and over 300 in the 2D views..
Are you using software rendering by any chance? What are the hardware
specs of your system?

Just to see what brings my system down, I subdivided the mesh out of
said sphere by 2 and extruded all the faces three times and now my
system is at 5fps, but I have over a million triangles.

BTW, to see how many triangles your scene has, Ctrl-Right-Click on the
View name and click on the little Info icon. It'll show Triangles and
Quads. Multiply the quads number by two and add it to the triangles to
get the number of triangles being rendered.

- Lutz
  email : lut### [at] stmuccom
  Web   : http://www.stmuc.com/moray